Human Resources Case Studies
Assignment: Human Resources Case Studies
Have you ever thought about the importance of having not only the right people hired for the right positions but also aligning their skills sets to the overall business goals of the organization? Consider a simplified example: If a company wanted to hire someone to greet and assist customers, a candidate who is cheerful and has customer service experience would surely be hired over a candidate who has difficulty working with people. HR professionals still handle traditional processes such as benefits and hiring, but their evolving role as a shared decision maker in overall business strategy allows them to have a greater impact on organizational success. For example, if an HR professional shares leadership’s vision of how the company should shift direction within 5 years, he or she will be more keen to hire someone who has the skills to lead the company into the future, as opposed to hiring someone who could get the job done today but would be of little help as the company grows.
In this Assignment, you will respond to a set of questions on HR’s role and function within an organization. You will review case studies and identify how HR professionals contribute to an organization’s strategies.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, including the “Case 2-1 Strategy-Driven HR Management: Netflix, a Behind-the-Scenes Look at Delivering Entertainment” PDF, which will be used to complete a component of this Assignment.
- Refer to the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses as you compose your Assignment.
By Day 7
Submit your response to the following prompts.
- Make a business case for why HR should share in the responsibility for decision making with the rest of organizational leadership. (150–225 words, or 2–3 paragraphs)
- Describe at least one HR function that is the same in a traditional sense as it is in a contemporary sense. In other words, what is an HR aspect that has experienced little change over the years? Explain how at least one HR function has evolved from a traditional sense into a contemporary sense. (150–225 words, or 2–3 paragraphs)
- Describe three skills that an HR professional should have to succeed in a contemporary HR role. Additionally, provide examples of how each skill can be demonstrated in an organization. (150–225 words, or 2–3 paragraphs)
For the following four questions, refer to the “Case 2-1 Strategy-Driven HR Management: Netflix, A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Delivering Entertainment” PDF (also located in this week’s Learning Resources).
- In what ways does HR add value to an organization? How might this value contribute to the organization sustaining its competitive advantage? Use specific examples from the Netflix case study and one or more references to another organization to support your answer. (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- How does Netflix’s monitoring of its employees’ performance reflect the evolution of HR to 21st-century practices? In your answer, describe more traditional performance management practices as well as the contemporary ones Netflix uses. (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- Based on the HR strategy presented in the Netflix case, what skills would an HR professional need to implement this strategy effectively? In your answer, be sure to address all four steps of the Netflix HR strategy. (150–225 words, or 2–3 paragraphs)
- What is Netflix’s competitive strategy? What role did HR play in developing key components of Netflix’s competitive strategy? (150 words, or 2 paragraphs)